HHU StartJUNOEvents and coursesGood to know - Germany

Good to know - Germany

Finding yourself in a new country can be difficult. The "Good to Know" information sessions would like to assist you in better understanding important aspects of the daily life in Germany.

The German Academic Landscape for Internationals

A variety of institutions with diverse objectives, interests and concerns characterize the German research landscape.This seminar discusses the main stakeholders of the German academic system, focusing on their strategic objectives, research assignments and interests. In addition the governance structures of these diverse institutions and their interactions will be introduced as well as their sources of funding and funding abilities they offer for junior scientists.

Lecturer: Uta Brunner (JUNO)

09.12.2019 at 5:00 pm, Building 16.11. Sitzungssaal 2 - Registration
Participation is free of charge, but registration is required

German Taxes in a Nutshell

Depending on their source of income, international researchers living in Germany can be subject to German income tax. Hence this information session will give an overview of the most important aspects of the German income tax for expats and try to tackle the most common questions arising like: Do I have to pay income taxes? Do I need to make an income tax declaration? When do l have to file my tax return and how? Do I also have to pay taxes in my home country? A Q&A session will be allocated at the end so as to tend to your personal questions. You are most welcome to send in any specific questions or areas you are interested prior to the session.

Lecturer: Claudine Ndlovu (Research Associate “International Taxation & Business Law B.A”, Hochschule Rhein-Waal)

20.01.2020 at 5:00 pm, Building 16.11. Sitzungssaal 3 - Registration
Participation is free of charge, but registration is required.

Rights of residence for researchers from non-EU countries in Germany

Researchers from non-EU countries must apply for a residence permit at the Immigration Office. The correct residence permit depends on your exact personal situation, e.g: Your monthly income or whether you have an employment contract with the university or are holding a scholarship? Different residence permits are more advantageous with regard to qualification for a permanent settlement permit in Germany or mobility rights in other EU countries than others. This information session gives an overview of the different residence permits for researchers and helps you to find out for which permits you are entitled.

Lecturer: Sigrun Wegener-Feldbrügge (JUNO) und Axel Schlabes (Immigration Office Düsseldorf)

10.02.2020 at 5:00 pm, Building 16.11. Sitzungssaal 1 - Registration
Participation is free of charge, but registration is required.

Junior Scientist and
International Researcher Center (JUNO)

Universitätsstr. 1
Geb.16.11, Etage 00,
Raum 42



Responsible for the content: