Health Insurance

In Germany health insurance is compulsory, i.e. all doctoral and postdoctoral researchers with their place of residence in Germany must have health insurance cover. Proof of health insurance coverage is required, for example, for enrolment at the University or when applying for or extending your residence permit.

Health insurance for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers with an employment contract

If, during your research activities, you have an employment contract, you must take out health insurance cover with a statutory health insurer of your choice. If you do not take out health insurance yourself, your employer will register you with the AOK (local statutory health insurer). You can change insurers within 3 months of the start of your employment contract. undefinedAOK and undefinedTechniker Krankenkasse are statutory health insurance organizations which both have a branch office on our campus. Your statutory health insurance premium is deducted directly from your gross salary. Bills for medical treatment and medication are paid directly by the insurer, i.e. you do not need to pay them in advance.

Health insurance for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers who are self-financed or receive a scholarship

Health insurance is still compulsory if you are financing your stay yourself or are in receipt of a scholarship. In this case, you must take out private health insurance. This also applies for shorter stays such as exchange semesters or internships. The premium for private health insurance depends on the age and medical condition of the policy holder. By contrast to statutory health insurance, in the case of private health insurance you pay the invoices for medical treatment and medication yourself first and are reimbursed later by your insurer. Please note that there can be considerable differences in private health insurers' tariffs. Therefore before taking out cover, you should examine in detail what is covered by which tariff. In addition, there are special rates for doctoral researchers or young researchers from abroad. Private health insurance must be recognized by a branch of a statutory health insurer. The branch office of the undefinedAOK (a statutory health insurer) is located on the campus right next to the canteen. This office will issue a corresponding certificate for you. You also need such a certificate to enrol at the University.

Recognition of existing health insurance in your home country

Depending on your country of origin, your existing health insurance of your home country might be recognized in Germany.

International Researcher Center (JUNO)

Universitätsstr. 1
Building 16.11, Level 00, Room 42


undefined e-mail

Further information about the German health care system

undefinedEuraxess Deutschland


undefinedThe German health care system

JUNO is an EURAXESS Contact Point

Responsible for the content: