Money Issues

If you are travelling to Germany make sure to bring enough money for the first days as you will have to pay for registration processes, accommodation, transportation and so forth. Information on the cost of living you will find undefinedhere.

Once you have arrived it is very important to open a so called ‘checking account’ at a German bank. Your monthly scholarship payment or, if you have a contract at university, your monthly salary will be transferred directly to this account. You will get a debit card with which you can withdraw money from your account or pay cashless in most of the stores in Germany. Additionally you can arrange for standing orders for regular payments such as your rent, telephone and so forth.

In order to open a bank account you will need you residence permit, the registration from the resident's registration office and your passport. As many institutions do not charge PhD students with any banking fees, do not forget to bring your university ID card in case you are enrolled at HHU.

International Researcher Center (JUNO)

Universitätsstr. 1
Building 16.11, Level 00, Room 42


undefined e-mail

Responsible for the content: