Visa / Entering Germany

Information on current entry requirements due to the Corona Pandemic can be found here.

Entry without a visa

Citizens of EU Member States as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can enter Germany without a visa and stay there. All they require is a valid passport.
Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea and USA may also enter Germany without a visa for a period of 90 days. For a longer stay, they must apply for a residence permit at the Immigration Office after entering the country. In case you will be taking up paid employment at HHU it is advisory to apply for a visa with working allowance already in your home country. Otherwise you would need to apply for a residents permit with working allowance at the Immigration Office in Düsseldorf before you can sign your contract at HHU. As there might be waiting time for appointments at the Immigration Office in Düsseldorf, this can be very time consuming.

Information for UK citizens' from British Embassy

Information for UK citizens' from Immigration Office Düsseldorf

Entry with a visa

Citizens of all other countries require a visa to enter Germany. You will need to apply for a visa already at the Germany embassy in your home country.

For a short-term stay (up to 3 month) you need to apply for a Schengen-Visa (C-Visa). When applying for the Schengen-Visa please state „scientific work“ or“research“ as the purpose of your stay. Holding a Schengen-Visa allows you to travel freely within the Schengen-States, but you will have to leave the Schengen-States at the end of the three month period. The visa can not be extented.

For a long-term research stay (over 3 month) you will need to apply for National-Visa (D-Visa). It is not sufficient to apply for a Schengen-Visa, since changing the visa status after entering Germany is not possible.

In general, to apply for a visa you require an invitation from your supervisor or the University as well as proof of how you are going to finance your stay. Please enquire in good time at the German Embassy in your home country about the relevant requirements and regulations.
You can find a general overview about visa requirements/waivers when entering Germany as well as the regulations concerning residence permits here
Further information on this topic can be found on the website of the German Foreign Office.


International Researcher Center (JUNO)

Universitätsstr. 1
Building 16.11, Level 00, Room 42


undefined e-mail

JUNO is an EURAXESS Contact Point

Responsible for the content: