HHU StartJUNOResearch AbroadLectureships and staff exchange

Teaching and working abroad

If you wish to teach and undertake research at a university abroad, support for your project is available above all from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The DAAD can help you both to find a placement as well as to finance this type of stay. Alternatively, you can search for a suitable source of finance for a lectureship abroad under the links we have listed under scholarship databases.

Foreign-language Assistant Programme
In the framework of its Foreign-language Assistant Programme, the DAAD places language assistants above all in areas requiring subject-specific German, but also in other fields. A large number of placements are advertised for young researchers.

Current job advertisements and further information are available from the DAAD’s website.

IC Assistant Programme
The DAAD maintains a global network of 55 Information Centres (IC). These support the DAAD’s work abroad and promote Germany as a prime location for education and research. In order to do justice to the broad range of responsibilities involved in running a centre, the teaching load at the local university is decreased by 50 %. Learn more about IC assistants’ duties, application criteria, further training measures and currently vacant positions on the DAAD’s IC Assistant Programme websitetypo3/#_msocom_3 .

The DAAD mediates and/or supports lectureships for Germans abroad. These range from short and long-term lectureships to lectureships especially for North America and opportunities for retired professors.

Local Support Programme for Teaching Assistants
The DAAD’s Local Support Programme for Teaching Assistants offers professional support for about 770 German teaching staff abroad who teach primarily in the areas of German language, literature and regional/cultural studies.

Further information can be found on the DAAD’s website under Local Support Programme for Teaching Assistants.

Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE)
Would your staff like to gain experience in another working environment, e.g. at a higher education institution or in the private sector in another country? In the framework of the RISE programme (Research and Innovation Staff Exchange), short-term stays for the purpose of career development are financed which focus on combining scientific excellence with getting to know other countries and sectors. RISE facilitates closer contacts between academic and non-academic organizations in Europe and throughout the world. Staff members are seconded for a period of between one month and one year. The secondment is conditional on staff members’ previous activities in the field of research and innovation or related areas of at least six months’ duration prior to its commencement. After their secondment, scholarship holders return to their home institution and share the knowledge they have acquired. A RISE project can be financed for up to four years. Further information is available from the website of the EU’s Horizon 2020 Programme.

Erasmus+ Guest Lectureships and Staff Mobility for Training
Erasmus+ supports guest lectureships at partner higher education institutions in Europe which hold a valid ERASMUS Charter for Higher Education (ECHE). Through their visit, guest lecturers should strengthen the European dimension of their host institution, complement its teaching syllabus and convey their knowledge to students who do not want or are unable to study abroad. Detailed information can be found on the website of HHU`s international office.


Junior Scientist and
International Researcher Center (JUNO)

Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
Building 16.11.
Level 00 Rooms 42-48
Universitätsstr. 1
40225 Düsseldorf
Phone: +49 211 81-13405/13564
undefinedJUNO International
undefinedJUNO Workshops

HHU language centre

20 languages for your stay abroad

Responsible for the content: