HHU StartJUNOResearch AbroadResearch stays abroad for postdoctoral researchers

Staying abroad during postdoctoral research

Conducting part of the research work abroad during a doctoral studies allows researchers new insights into their own research field, an exchange with scientists from other cultural backgrounds, the collection of data and/or the learning of new working methods which enrich their own projects.
Research stays abroad should be planned and prepared in good time.

General information regarding your stay abroad

You can find general information on how to prepare your research stay abroad in the Euraxess Mobility Portal. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has compiled specific information on individual countries. Please enquire at your country´s Foreign Office about entry and visa regulations applicable in your target country.

Regarding all further information and requirements, you should please enquire at your host institution abroad.

Language certificates

When applying for funding it is most often necessary to proof the language proficiancy for the language of the destination country. At the undefinedHHU Language Center you are able to receive language certificates for the German Academic Exchange Servive (DAAD) and for the "Bundesvertretung der Medizinstudierenden in Deutschland" (bvmd). Please pay attention to registration deadlines and dates. For all other certificates please contact the test centers directly.

Financing your research stay abroad

Having decided to go abroad, there is the question of how to finance your visit. We have listed the most important funding schemes for you undefinedhere. In addition you may want to search undefinedscholarship databases for other programmes according to your own criteria. For job offers within all research fields you can search the Euraxess Jobportal.

Legal framework for your stay abroad

Information for researchers with an employment contract at HHU

In the framework of a German employment contract, stays abroad lasting up to three months must be registered as official travel. For longer stays abroad (>3 months) there are other rules in addition to your normal employment contract. In both cases you have accident insurance cover through the industrial insurance scheme. If you are planning such a research stay abroad, please enquire at undefinedHHU’s Personnel Department in good time about the modalities.

Staff must take out overseas health insurance themselves (Please note: Not travel health insurance). During the research stay as well as the outward and return journey, researchers have accident insurance cover through the relevant industrial insurance association (Berufsgenossenschaft).

Any basic or advanced scientific, artistic or vocational training undertaken abroad does not fall under German legislation governing short-term contracts for researchers (WissZeitVG Article 2, Paragraph 5, Sentence 2).

Information for researchers with alternative sources of finance

A scholarship does not give reason for an employment relationship, i.e. neither the University nor the organization awarding the scholarship becomes your employer. The scholarship is tax-free and not subject to obligatory social security contributions. As a scholarship holder you therefore have neither pension, nursing care or unemployment insurance nor health or accident insurance. Some sponsors offer the possibility to take out accident insurance cover in the framework of a supplementary or group insurance scheme.


Further tips on social security and different types of insurance to safeguard your research stay abroad can be found in the Euraxess Mobility Portal. There you will also find information about your rights and the possibilities to transfer social security benefits within the European Union. For a stay outside the EU, it is recommended that you take out protection on your own responsibility.


Dr. Uta Brunner

Junior Scientist and
International Researcher Center (JUNO)
Heine Research Academies
Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
Gebäude 16.11.
Ebene 04 Raum 33
Universitätsstr. 1
40225 Düsseldorf
Tel.: +49 211 81-13564
undefinedSend Mail

HHU language centre

20 languages for your stay abroad

Responsible for the content: